Pupil Surveys

These surveys have helped staff in many ways. It allowed children to speak their mind in confidence. In some ways this was their “voice!”

Looking back at data we have recognised different pupil concerns and built them into our plans. For example Mrs Saleem is running 3 friendship clubs weekly. Children who had no friends attend this. Children’s likes and dislikes are known. Children who require additional support in class were identified and have been discussed with relevant teachers and relevant information shared.

We know which children are reading at home, who is supported with their homework and which language is spoken at home.

We will continue with these surveys next year to keep ourselves updated with pupil thinking.

 

Year 5 and 6

Children find art the most interesting subject, followed by PE, maths, ICT and Literacy.

Children enjoyed exploring their new learning.

The most popular school resources are the laptops followed by the PE equipment.

86% of children said they are confident in school - mostly because of teachers' support and their own self confidence and courage.

11% said they do not feel confident in school - mostly because they worried about joining in, and about tests.

91% said they contributed in class, whilst just 8% said they didn't.

96% of children said they are making progress, 15% of whom knew this though their results.

13% of children said they always do their best.

1% said they felt they were not making progress because their handwriting, for example, had not improved.

All children knew what to do if they found something difficult, namely ask a teacher, a talk partner or someone on their table.

82% felt they are listened to when they have a problem.

45% of children were able to give an example of this.

15% said their friends listen to them.

All children used their first language at home, whilst 22% of children did not use English at all at home.

Year 3 and 4

Here are some interesting outcomes from a questionnaire given to Year 5 and 6 pupils in February 2013.

Most children in Years 3 and 4 found Maths the most interesting, followed by Science.The most popular resource were the laptops.

The children enjoyed playing with their friends the most, especially in the new playground.

87% said they felt confident in school.

14% did not feel confident - mostly because they felt they had to try harder.

Children said that they learned best by being self-confident, listening and following teachers' instructions.

91% of children knew they were making progress as a result of their teacher's feedbackand the being told they had met a target and recieved a new one. Teachers were following up incidents where children felt they were not making progress.

32% said they completed Literacy work independantly.

27% said they completed Maths work independantly.

92% felt they contributed in class. 8% felt they didin't. Again this is being followed up.

33% of children said they found Numeracy diificult.

36% of children said they found complicated.

92% said they read at home. 2% said they did not. 3% did not answer.

92% of children felt that somebody listened to them if they had a problem. The other 8% reported that they had no problems.

14% of children said that they don't speak English at home. 50% spoke Urdu at home and 26% spoke Punjabi.

 

Year 1 and 2

Children find school trips must enjoyable followed by maths, playing different games and Art. Overall children said they enjoy these because it is “fun!”

65% of the children said they like to play in the new playground, where as 19% prefers to play inside.

100%of the children say they are happy in school.

The majority of the children said friends, playing and teachers make them happy in school.

The majority of the children say that they are sad when their friends are mean and do not play with them.

98% say they know they are making progress because they work hard and their teacher tells them. 1% has been followed up by the teacher.

93% say they ask and answer questions in class. Teachers are aware of the other 7%.

92% of children say they know how to make sure they can get on with their work. 64% children say they ask teachers if they find something difficult in school, 16% say they just try harder. 13% mention talking to friends and success criteria.

63% say they receive help with their homework. 14% say they have little help. 21% say they don’t receive any help and 2% did not answer.

94% say they look at or read books at home. 2% say they don’t. The other 2% did not answer.